Precision Machined Components for Medical and Dental Projects
The medical industry is well known for having extremely stringent requirements. As anyone looking to obtain machined components for medical projects will know, there are a variety of factors which are critical for device and—more importantly—patient outcomes. It is essential for any medical contract manufacturer to understand how to mitigate these potential issues and to head them off before they can affect the client. Some of the most common concerns that bring clients to DM2 include:
- Tolerances: Many of our medical parts go into assemblies that require tight tolerances, .0005″ (.0127 mm) total variation or less, in order to function. The unique advantages of Swiss-style machining along with the use of ground material allow DM2 to provide tight finishes along with complex geometries—in a single setup.
- Scalability: Medical companies often have to test components out and new products tend to ramp up over time. A truly great manufacturing partner can scale with their customer to keep an uninterrupted supply from the initial run up to full production.
- Wide variety of materials: Medical components are made from a wide variety of materials including:
- Various grades of stainless (such as 17-4 and 316)
- Titanium (typically 6AL-4V)
- Plastics (both PEEK and Delrin are common)
- A skilled medical manufacturer is comfortable working with all of these materials and more.
- Burr control: Excessive burrs could potentially be lost in the body or could cause unwanted damage to tissue. Creative machining and robust offline options for deburring are critical for medical components.
- Part finish: Many medical parts must have to have a smooth overall finish -16 RMA or better- to fit into assemblies and to avoid unwanted rubbing. The same techniques used to hold tight tolerances can be applied to hold close finishes— and even higher finishes are possible with electropolishing.
- Packaging: Medical customers often require particular packaging so that the parts are not damaged or lost- since they are often small parts.
As an experienced medical contract manufacturer, DM has a long and proven history of overcoming and preventing all of these concerns and more. Our clients keep coming back because acquiring world class precision machined parts is guaranteed when you work with DM2.